Izuku Midoriya is the main protagonist of the popular manga and anime series My Hero Academia. His Hero name is Deku and he was originally Quirkless but after meeting All Might and impressing him with his bravery, he gains One For All becoming its ninth user.
He is voiced by Daiki Yamashita in the Japanese version of the anime, and by Justin Briner in the English version of the anime.
He is shown to be loyal to the hero academy and All Might. In the beginning, Izuku felt insecure about not having a quirk and was seen as an outsider to most of the community for lacking a quirk. However, when he was granted his quirk powers by All Might, Izuku was grateful that he would be a powerful hero. He is shown to be friendly and open-minded around others.
Despite being bullied by Katsuki Bakugo, Izuku did not show any negativity for his bullying and still tried to work alongside him.
As a hero, he is shown to be fearless and willing to confront the villains despite going against the rules of the academy such as leading a mission to rescue Katsuki from the League of Villains.
This section is too long. Visit here for more details: Izuku Midoriya's Synopsis on the Heroes Wiki.
What makes him Pure Good?
- He is shown to be patient and friendly around others and willing to work along with his classmates and teammates.
- He shows a passion to want to serve the community and be a hero. He is not shown to be motivated by fame or money like what many heroes are usually motivated by.
- Despite being told all his life he could never be a hero because he was quirkless, he still remained hopeful and believed in himself and his capacity to be a hero in the future.
- When Katsuki was being held captive by the Sludge Villain, decided to sprint into action to try to save him, telling his childhood friend that he couldn't just sit there and watch him die, inspiring All Might to take action as well. This is in spite of the fact Katsuki told him to go kill himself earlier that day.
- During the Entrance Exam, destroys the Zero Point robot, breaking his limbs and sacrificing his chance to pass the exam in order to save Ochaco, despite barely even knowing her.
- Manages to make a plan to restrain the villains at the U.S.J. and chooses to fight even though he was scared.
- Attempts to save All Might by stopping Tomura's attack, and while Izuku was nearly killed, it still gave enough time for the other heroes to arrive and subsequently saved All Might's life.
- During his fight with Shoto, instead of trying to win the match, he urges Shoto to use his full power, helping him to realize an important part of himself.
- Despite being bullied by Katsuki as a child, he does not show any negative emotions or hatred towards him, going so far as to admire him and emulate his personality during battle.
- Protects his friend, Tenya, against the infamous Hero Killer, Stain, and along with Shoto, helped Tenya to see the error of his ways of desiring revenge, changing him for the better.
- When Katsuki is overpowered by All Might in the Final Exam, instead of abandoning him and running to the gate, chooses to save Katsuki.
- When I Island is attacked by villains, refuses to run away and instead encourages the rest of his classmates to disable the security system to save the island.
- Despite knowing that David Shield committed a crime by attempting to steal the Quirk Amplification Device, was still resolved to save him, and when the professor told Izuku to leave him, he reminds David of his daughter waiting for him.
- Defeats Wolfram alongside All Might, saving the island.
- Saves Kota from a potentially fatal fall.
- Attempts to reason with Kota and help him change his views about heroes, succeeding in making Kota accept the value of heroes and becoming a more open person.
- Puts his life on the line and pushed past his limits against Muscular to save Kota, despite the child having been very rude to him and punching him in the scrotum.
- Even when grievously injured from his fight with Muscular, continues fighting to help his classmates, helping Shoji to get Fumikage's Dark Shadow under control and attempting to rescue both Katsuki and Fumikage from Mr. Compress and later Katsuki again from Dabi.
- He is willing to go against the rules of UA High Academy to save Katsuki from the League of Villains with his classmates and succeeded.
- Tried to save Eri from Overhaul the first time he met her, despite being ordered by Nighteye not cause suspicion, refusing to leave her due to noticing the scars she has from Overhaul's abuse towards her.
- Saves Eri from the Shie Hassaikai and defeats their boss, Overhaul as well as trying to save Nighteye from being killed by Overhaul despite Nighteye having been rude to Deku earlier.
- He stops both Gentle Criminal and La Brava from trespassing the school and canceling the School Festival. Furthermore, Izuku actually sympathizes with Gentle and his past, screaming out his name in concern when Gentle pushes him away, and when the teachers apprehend Gentle and ask Izuku what happened, he lies and says they just had a small disagreement.
- He and his classmates's performance brought Eri into the light and made her smile during the School Festival.
- In the anime, when fighting Amajiki as part of a training exercise, instead of punching him, he merely restrained him and asked him to surrender, not wanting to hurt Amajiki.
- Even after being scolded by Maharo for taking too long to save Katsuma, still expresses happiness that Katsuma is safe, and says that's all that matters.
- Speaks to Katsuma about being a hero and expresses his belief that Katsuma can become a hero despite not having a combat-oriented quirk.
- Rescues Maharo and Katsuma from Nine and holds the villain off to protect both of them.
- Makes a plan to deal with Nine's group, which succeeds in separating them and stopping their rampage.
- Fights Nine alongside Katsuki despite being grievously injured; then, when Nine nearly steals Katsuma's Quirk, arrives at the last second and saves Katsuma, commending him for his bravery in trying to protect his sister.
- Defeats Nine alongside Katsuki, saving Katsuma, Maharo, and Nabu Island.
- Helps rescue Natsuo from Ending along with Katsuki and Shoto.
- During the Paranormal Liberation War, helps the evacuation efforts and saved the lives of many innocents from Tomura Shigaraki's decay wave.
- During the fight with Tomura, saves all of the heroes from Tomura's Decay using Blackwhip and his newly unlocked quirk, Float.
- He singlehandedly fights against Tomura, sacrificing all of his limbs to ensure that Tomura was defeated.
- Even when his body was seriously broken, he shoots out Blackwhip from his mouth, intervening in the fight with Shoto and Dabi.
- Though fully aware of Endeavor's past, still defends him, saying to Dabi that while the past never dies, it is all-the-more reason he's looking to see Endeavor become a better person. These words touched Endeavor and inspired him to deal a final strike to Gigantomachia, which was the final blow needed to knock him out of commission.
- Attempts to stop Tomura/All For One as he escaped from the battlefield with his Nomu in spite of his horrendous injuries, and despite hating Tomura for everything he did, still notes that he looked as though he wanted help when he was fighting for control with All For One in the mental realm.
- Even when being put into a coma with all of his limbs horribly damaged, he still worries about how everyone else was doing after the battle with Tomura Shigaraki and the Paranormal Liberation Front.
- When asked by the One For All vestiges if he has the determination to kill Tomura, Izuku remarks on how he felt the pain of a crying child inside Tomura's heart, and in spite of all of the things that Tomura did, Izuku wants to try and save Tomura first and only kill Tomura if absolutely necessary.
- Will only kill villains if necessary.
- Leaves U.A. High in order to protect his classmates and the other students from an attack by All For One and Tomura Shigaraki.
- Saves Shindo from being killed by Muscular.
- After his confrontation with Tomura, has become more pacifistic towards villains in general, now preferring to find alternate methods besides combat before fighting them.
- As he is fighting with Muscular, attempted to reason with him and understand him better, only choosing to use violence after seeing Muscular refuse to converse or change his ways.
- Defeats Muscular, turning him in to the authorities and putting an end to his rampage.
- Saves a woman with a mutant quirk from being attacked by a group of people believing her to be a villain, comforting her and giving her an umbrella.
- Saves Overhaul from Lady Nagant (unaware that she wasn't actually trying to shoot him), despite Overhaul being an irredeemable monster who tortured Eri to the point she couldn't even smile.
- Tries to reform Lady Nagant, knowing she doesn't want to help All For One and is horrified when the latter betrays her.
- When Hawks almost falls while carrying an unconscious Lady Nagant, due to him not being able to fly, Izuku saves the both of them with his Blackwhip and informs Hawks about the self-destruction Quirk.
- He's disheartened when he sees that Overhaul still doesn't feel remorse for what he did to Eri and still holds hatred towards him to the point of calling him a "sick bastard", but he still decides to honor the deal Overhaul made with Lady Nagant to see his boss even after everything he did to Eri and Sir Nighteye.