|“||Growing old and dying is what gives beauty to the fleeting span of a human life. It is precisely because we age and die, that our lives are unbearably valuable and noble. Strength is not a word that means much in regards to the flesh.||„|
|~ Rengoku rejecting Akaza's offer to become a Demon|
Kyojuro Rengoku (煉獄 杏寿郎) is a supporting character in the 2016-2020 fantasy horror manga series Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba and its 2019 anime television series adaption. He is also the deuteragonist of the 2020 anime movie Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train, which adapts the Demon Train arc of the manga.
He is voiced by Satoshi Hino in the Japanese version of the anime, and by Mark Whitten in the English version of the anime.
What Makes Him Pure Good?
- At first he disagreed with Kagaya's order of not to have Nezuko killed for being a demon, but after witnessing her refusal to eat Sanemi, he was the third hashira (after Giyu and Mitsuri) to acknowledge her first and therefore thought of her as one of them despite her current status.
- He trained his brother Senjuro into using a sword during his time as a newbie before becoming a Hashira.
- He deeply cared for his father, no matter how cynical or hostile he got.
- He is honorable and loyal into doing his duty, willing to protect others from harm.
- Stated his belief in Tanjiro as he went to fight Enmu.
- Protected people on the Mugen Train from demons.
- He protected everyone within the Train after Enmu gained possession of it from being killed and eaten, alongside Nezuko and Zenitsu.
- He helped heal Tanjiro's wound by assisting him to properly use the latter's Concentration Breathing.
- He fought Akaza and protected those out of the train, including Tanjiro and Inosuke from ever getting involved with the battle.
- During the fight, Akaza offered to have Rengoku join him as a Demon to continue living on. However, he rejects it due to the fact dying and living is what life was meant to be despite everything that had happened. This also proves Akaza serves as a foil to Rengoku.
- He didn't die in vain after Akaza kills him during their fight and when he escaped. He fulfilled his duties as a Hashira into protecting Tanjiro and the rest, his final words would later lead him into being encouraged and left with hinted notes about other Flame Breathing Tecniques.
- His posthumous role and death has led a big impact for the main characters, Tanjiro, Zenitsu, and Inosuke to continue moving forward and soon defeat Muzan. In addition, his final words inspired Tanjiro.
- He was one of the people in the afterlife, alongside Mitsuri Kanroji and Gyomei Himejima, to save Tanjiro from Muzan's corruption to him while his body was getting cured by Kanao, also ending Muzan's legacy and terror for good permanently.
- He, alongside Tanjiro Kamado, Mitsuri Kanroji and Gyomei Himejima, are the only four Demon Slayer heroes to be Pure Good.
- In addition, he is one of the three Hashira in the series to be Pure Good.