Queen Otohime is a minor character in the manga and anime series, One Piece. She was the mermaid queen of the Ryugu Kingdom, the wife of King Neptune, and the mother of Fukaboshi, Ryuboshi, Manboshi, and Shirahoshi. Eight years prior to the start of the series, she was assassinated by Hody Jones.
She was voiced by Michiko Neya in the Japanese version, and by Amanda Winn-Lee in the English dubbed version.
Otohime is an extremely affectionate, loving, considerate leader who constantly strives for what is best for her people. Unlike others of her species, Otohime does not hold any prejudice against humans, believing in a peaceful coexistence between the two species. Her devotion to her people is so great that she even cries for criminals and others whom she disagrees with, as seen when confronting a thief who took a child hostage and Fisher Tiger, a pirate who believes in the separation of humans and Fishmen.
Powers and Abilities
Otohime possesses a mermaid physiology, allowing her to breath underwater and swim at high speeds, though beyond this, she does not possess any remarkable physical abilities. She is capable of using Kenbunshoku Haki, which enables her to sense the presence of others and predict movements, and in conjunction with her impressive speed, allows her to even evade bullets at close-range. Her Haki also allows her to understand the feelings of others and empathize with their pain, which helps in changing her enemies.
What makes her Pure Good?
- Otohime is one of the few people of Fishman Island who does not hold any hatred or prejudice against humans, and while she has seen evil humans and pirates kidnapping some Fishmen, she chooses not to judge all humans based on the few interactions they've had with them.
- Stops a thief named Papaneel personally even when the authorities were already on the scene and frees the child hostage he'd been holding captive.
- After hearing Papaneel's tragic past of having his store burned down and left with no income for his ten children which forced him to steal, sincerely cries for him, empathizing with his pain and actually choosing to take responsibility for not being there for him in his time of need despite having no reason to apologize.
- Though she does rigorously slap Papaneel, this is only done in order to teach him a lesson and make him see the error of his ways, and she continues crying for him.
- Redeems Papaneel and inspires him to never steal again and become a better person for his children.
- Spends several years going out into the street and asking the citizens of Fishman Island to sign her petitions to promote interspecies relations.
- Upon sensing the anguish and hatred in Fisher Tiger's heart after being imprisoned by the Celestial Dragons, she cries for him even though he is a pirate and she opposes his ideals.
- Rescued many humans from shipwrecks.
- Taught the children about the surface world and educated them on humans so they could better understand the human race.
- Saves the life of the Celestial Dragon, Mjosgard, when the Sun Pirates attempt to kill him in order to make sure that the children watching the execution don't inherit their hatred for humans.
- Even after Mjosgard holds Otohime hostage, she still orders for the doctors to treat him after being injured in a shipwreck.
- Before he leaves, Otohime decides to go with him in order to hear him out and in order to speak to the other World Nobles and establish peaceful relations with Fishman Island.
- Succeeded in negotiations with the World Nobles and offered a seat for Fishman Island at the World Summit.
- When fatally shot, held no hatred for the person who killed her, and as she died, asked her children not to feel anger towards her death or her murderer, no matter who it was.
- Inspired her daughter Shirahoshi with her kindness and her final words, who would inherit her kind nature and choose to forgive Hody Jones for murdering Otohime, honoring her mother's final wish despite knowing her true killer for years.
- Her other children would also inherit her will, and her oldest son Fukaboshi would try to follow in her footsteps by attempting to create peace between Fishmen and humans and choosing not to hate Hody Jones for killing Otohime either.
- Inspired those in the Sun Pirates such as Fisher Tiger and Jinbe to adopt her pacifistic views; on his deathbed, Fisher Tiger would come to accept Otohime's principles and tell his crew to follow her will, and Jinbe would become a Warlord of the Sea in order to promote relations between the two species.
- During her time spent with Mjosgard, she actually manages to redeem him and make him into a better person, especially remarkable since the Celestial Dragons are regarded as the most despised and evil people in their world.
- Her actions would inspire Mjosgard to release all the slaves he'd kept, and during the World Summit, when Charlos attempted to take Shirahoshi into slavery, Mjosgard punched Charlos away, ensuring that neither Neptune or anyone else be punished and saving Shirahoshi from a life of slavery, all in order to pay back the debt he owed Otohime.