Stanley "Caveman" Yelnats IV is the main protagonist of the 1998 novel Holes, as well as the 2003 live-action Disney film of the same name.
He is a teenager who was framed for stealing a pair of valued shoes, with him and his family having a curse from Madame Zeroni from centuries past.
In the 2003 film, he was portrayed by Shia LaBouf.
What Makes Him Pure Goods?
- Despite being sent camp, he accepted staying there until he got released once his name was cleared.
- Despite the campers being mean, he is very friendly and supportive towards them, and even helped them.
- He cared for Hector Zeroni, as he went to find him when he ran away into the desert.
- He showed sympathy for Hector when he listened to his tragic backstory.
- He stood up to for Hector, and refused to leave him.
- He inadvertently helped fulfill his family's curse, by taking Hector to the Big Thumb, something his great great grandfather failed to do with Hector’s great great grandmother that brought about the curse in the first place.
- He helped Hector to find the hidden treasure Kate Barlow has hidden it.
- He forgave Hector when the latter revealed to have accidentally stolen the shoes and got Stanley framed for it, correctly acknowledging they were destined to be at Camp Green Lake together, which is directly tied to one of the story's leading morals.
- When Louise Walker begged him to help her from going to back to prison, he stands up to her after putting up with her for too long.
- He is the only character along with his parents and Ms. Morengo to never once exhibit a single corrupting factor.